Loaded Mashed Potatoes (adapted from the Idaho Potato Commission)
- 2-1/2 pounds potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 16-ounce container of sour cream
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup bacon bits
- 1 thinly sliced scallion
Place potato chunks in a large soup pot and add just enough salted water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until tender (about 15-20 minutes); drain well and place in food processor.
Add remaining ingredients and process (or beat with an electric mixer) until blended and smooth. Garnish with an extra sprinkling of shredded cheese and scallion slices. Serve immediately.